2013 Silver Award for Excellence in Residential Landscape Design and Construction - Wisconsin Landscape Contractors Association
The owners of this historic east side home, circa 1933, had recently built a new addition which inspired the need to revitalize the landscape. The clients desired a multiple room outdoor environment that could perform as a secluded place for the family to gather, garden, and entertain.
The inspiration for the patio originated with a gear-like brickwork detail on the house’s grand front door. That brick detail was custom designed into the paving to frame the fire pit area which was then screened by installing a surrounding row of arborvitae for privacy and to create an evergreen backdrop.
Following a sustainable mantra, the over 70-year-old lannon stone from the original patio was reclaimed and given a second life as paving for the fire pit area as well as steppers and small medallion details. Salvaged granite street cobbles were laid as the plant bed edging to extend the old world charm into the front garden. Both stone elements naturally coordinate with the historic architecture of the house.
Because of the large existing trees on the property, including a magnificent purple beech, the garden was designed primarily with shade plantings.
Copper lighting fixtures are located throughout to enhance the elegant feel of project and coordinate with the copper gutters and detailing on the house.